Find an answer to the most common questions here
This is a self supported race. This means: no drafting, no support cars, not accepting any help offered by supporters, and fixing your own bike in case of mechanicals (you are allowed to use a bike mechanic if you cannot fix the bike yourself, but be aware that Rwandan bike mechanics are only used to work on cheap chinese steel frames)
Yes, you will be provided with a GPS tracker, and a livetracking page will be on our website for all who wish to follow the race online.
In the bikepacking racing tradition, there is no prize money. But thanks to our sponsors, the fastest male, female and pair will receive some nice souvenirs to take home
You need to be at least 18 years of age at the day of the race start, and have a doctor’s note stating you are physically fit. You will also need to be able to show proof of insurance.
There definitely will be, on the night of Saturday 8th.
Well… you carry it! This is a self-supported race, which means you need to take everything with you (of course you can buy stuff in shops along the way). No luggage will be transported to any of the checkpoints, but we will provide storage space in Kigali (start and finish location) for your extra bags and bike boxes.
The race starts at 5am on February 2nd with a time limit of 139 hours, which means you have to be back in Kigali by midnight on Friday February 7th (5 days and 19 hours later), cut off times for each CP will be published later.
If you don’t make a cut off time, of course you are allowed to finish the course on your own pace.
- Airport transfer at arrival
- Luggage storage during the race
- Discounts at partnering hotels in Kigali
- Basic pre-race breakfast
- Rental of GPS tracker & real-time live tracking (not for journey participants)
- GPX file of the route
- Paper race map
- Free food and lodging at selected check points
- Race goodies (incl. T-shirt, race cap, Rwandan gifts)
- Finisher award
- HD versions of pictures taken by our photographers
- Finisher party
See our ‘why Rwanda’ page
80% of the race will be over perfect paved roads, the other 20% will follow gravel roads that can get bumpy at some time. We would recommend a gravel bike with tires of at least 32mm. People signing up for the journey version though, can opt to avoid all offroad sections and use a more standard road bike.
See our ‘rules’ page
The first edition will start in the morning of February 2nd 2020
Race around Rwanda Ltd. is a Rwanda registered organisation, ran by a Brit and a Belgian living in Rwanda.
Matthew Brokenshire is always on the look out for an adventure….the longer and crazier the better! He swam the English channel and the straits of Gibraltar in the past, but currently spends most of his hours on the bike.
Originally from the UK Matt and his family have been in Rwanda since 2017.
Simon De Schutter has been cycling for all his life, and for the past 3 years mainly on Rwandan roads, on gravel bike road bike or mountain bike. Having competed in several ultra races himself, he is passionate about bringing this sport to the land of a thousand hills.
Rwanda doesn’t have a culture of ‘wild camping’ and although it is a safe country with low crime rates we advise that you seek out a bar, restaurant, hotel or campsite that will be able to support you during those needed naps. Many of these locations have provision of a walled garden/area. If you choose to rest at the side of the route then be aware you will likely have quite some attention (wanted or unwanted) from locals.
We will provide you with a race map with some information about villages where you’re most likely to find accommodation (you would never be more than 50 km away from such a village). Race participants can sleep for free in some of the checkpoints.
Most of Rwanda is populated by humans and there are no large wild animal populations outside of the national park boundaries. There are monkeys in different areas of the country. Insects and mosquitoes can be a nuisance, especially at dusk and dawn in low marshy areas, so take the needed precaution with covering up and using repellent.
We advise that participants drink filtered or bottled water throughout their time in Rwanda. There are many places along the route to replenish your supplies. IF you are needing to drink from an alternative water source then do use your preferred bacterial filter and purification tablets.
During the event there will be a minimum of 2 permanently active 4×4 cars and also 1 motorbike. These will be carefully positioned along the route to follow up the full range of riders at all times. All participants will be supplied with the contact numbers of the vehicle coordinators.
Medical Support – All the CPs and Vehicles will have basic medical supplies. In addition the organisers have pre-identified the preferred medical facilities across the country. Participants should ensure that their medical insurance covers these locations.
Comments are closed.